Associate Director/Director, Translational Sciences
Reports To: CSO
Location: Cambridge, MA
Casma Therapeutics is harnessing the natural cellular process of autophagy to open vast new target areas for drug discovery and development that will profoundly impact the lives of patients. Autophagy is a conserved cellular process that contributes to overall organismal health. Inefficient autophagy flux or defects in lysosomal homeostasis are observed in numerous pathologies, e.g., neurodegeneration, metabolic disorders, inflammation, and muscle degeneration. Casma uses several approaches to intervene at strategic points throughout the autophagy-lysosome system to improve the cellular process of clearing out unwanted proteins, organelles and invading pathogens. By boosting autophagy, Casma expects to be able to arrest or reverse the progression of lysosomal storage disorders, muscle disorders, inflammatory disorders and neurodegeneration, among other indications. Casma was launched in 2018 by Third Rock Ventures and is based in Cambridge, Mass.
Casma Therapeutics is seeking an experienced drug discovery scientist with deep knowledge evaluating therapeutic efficacy in rodent models for rare genetic diseases, lysosomal storage diseases and metabolic disorders. The candidate will also be responsible for defining and executing an autophagy biomarker discovery strategy and should adopt a highly collaborative approach to establish strong relationships with external partners and the internal drug discovery team. This is a unique opportunity to join an innovative start up biotech from inception to develop novel therapeutics to meet currently unmet medical needs.
- Collaborate with the Casma team to define and execute a strategy to evaluate efficacy in relevant rodent models.
- Design and supervise the execution of studies and fully collaborate with drug discovery team to reach critical decision points leading to nomination of development candidates.
- Develop a strategy to discover and validate autophagy biomarkers suitable for clinical development.
Requirements + Qualifications
- 7-10 years of relevant work experience in biotech/ pharma
- Experience employing molecular profiling approaches to develop pathway-dependent biomarkers suitable for use in clinical development
- Experience collaborating with biologists and chemists to generate in vivo target validation data using genetic and pharmacological methods.
- Multiple examples of supporting medicinal chemistry efforts to identify develop candidates
- Prior experience and record of accomplishment functioning in cross functional teams and willingness to adopt a hands-on approach to deliver in a start-up biotech environment
- Prior experience in successfully implementing, utilizing and leveraging outsourcing strategies
- Significant expertise working across disease indications with specific focus on RGD, lysosomal storage disease and metabolic diseases
- Extensive know-how using biochemical, molecular and behavioral endpoints is essential
- Solid understanding of drug metabolism, PD biomarkers and endpoint correlations required
- Strong written, oral and public speaking communication skills
- Strong interpersonal and collaboration skills
- Clear and effective verbal and written communication skills
- A demonstrated ability to think logically and critically
- Ability to successfully participate in a highly-creative and enthusiastic start-up environment
- Exemplify a patient-first mentality, courage, integrity, drive, and respect for all team members
Company Values + Culture
Courage to listen learn, lead, Awesome science, Strength through collaboration,
Medical breakthroughs for patients, Always do the right thing
We have created and are sustaining a creative scientific culture where we recognize and reward our “Casmaniacs” for exemplifying our Core Values, and we accelerate our professional growth through coaching, development, and frequent feedback. Our plan of nurturing the fiercest, most talented and diverse Casmaniacs is coming to fruition before our very eyes.
Casmaniacs are provided competitive salaries, stock options, bonus eligibility, and excellent benefits including health, dental and vision insurance, life insurance, long-term disability, 401(k), unlimited vacation, generous parental leave, commuter reimbursement, professional development, philanthropic opportunities, and most importantly a sense of community.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Casma provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, age, veteran status, disability, pregnancy or conditions related to pregnancy, or genetics.
If you would like to learn more, please send us your resume and anything else you would like to share to firstname.lastname@example.org.