Director, Business Development–Transactions
Department: Business Development
Reports to: COO/Head of Business Development
Location: Cambridge, MA
Casma Therapeutics is harnessing the natural cellular process of autophagy to open vast new target areas for drug discovery and development that will profoundly impact the lives of patients. Autophagy is a conserved cellular process that contributes to overall organismal health. Inefficient autophagy flux or defects in lysosomal homeostasis are observed in numerous pathologies, e.g., neurodegeneration, metabolic disorders, inflammation, and muscle degeneration. Casma uses several approaches to intervene at strategic points throughout the autophagy-lysosome system to improve the cellular process of clearing out unwanted proteins, organelles and invading pathogens. By boosting autophagy, Casma expects to be able to arrest or reverse the progression of lysosomal storage disorders, muscle disorders, inflammatory disorders and neurodegeneration, among other indications. Casma was launched in 2018 by Third Rock Ventures and is based in Cambridge, Mass.
The Director of Business Development will develop and execute on key strategies and lead the design and implementation of new initiatives and operational projects. This will be a high-profile role where the candidate will gain firsthand strategic and operating experience while helping to build a premier biotechnology company. While this high energy individual will wear many hats and have the capacity to drive numerous complex projects forward simultaneously, the focus is on driving multiple transactions for key corporate partnerships. This position will provide both strategic and operational excellence working closely with senior management and business partners. This person will play an instrumental role in critical outreach to potential partners and eventually transactions We are seeking a qualified candidate who will share our excitement about the science, contribute to our culture, and honor our commitment to patients.
- Contribute to the refinement, articulation, and execution of Casma’s business and science strategy.
- Participate in corporate partnering efforts including negotiations, due diligence, term sheet construction and final agreements.
- In conjunction with company leadership and R&D team, craft external partnering and investor presentations.
- Provide analytic support by building and updating business/product models, conducting market analysis, and performing competitive intelligence.
- Ensure coordination of activities and deliverables across all functions.
- Collaborate cross-functionally to develop and manage the R&D budget, including resource tracking and scenario planning.
- Other duties, as assigned.
Requirements + Qualifications
- MS/MBA, MD or PhD preferred
- 8-10 years of relevant biotech or pharmaceutical industry experience
- At least 4-6 years in business development or corporate strategy function
- Relevant transactional experience (in-licensing, M&A, R&D partnership)
- Operational experience and familiarity with the drug development process
- Experience setting and maintaining budgets
- Ability to influence across multiple functions, effectively work with different personalities and styles, and efficiently prioritize activities
- Comfortable navigating complexity and ambiguity in a fast-paced environment
- Knowledge of project management and presentation tools (Microsoft Project, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Strong interpersonal and collaboration skills
- Clear and effective verbal and written communication skills
- A demonstrated ability to think logically and critically
- Ability to successfully participate in a highly-creative and enthusiastic start-up environment
- Exemplify a patient-first focus, courage, integrity, drive, and respect for all team members
Company Values + Culture
Courage to listen, learn, lead, Awesome science, Strength through collaboration,
Medical breakthroughs for patients, Always do the right thing
We have created and are sustaining a creative scientific culture where we recognize and reward our “Casmaniacs” for exemplifying our Core Values, and we accelerate our professional growth through coaching, development, and frequent feedback. Our plan of nurturing the fiercest, most talented and diverse Casmaniacs is coming to fruition before our very eyes.
Casmaniacs are provided competitive salaries, stock options, bonus eligibility, and excellent benefits including health, dental and vision insurance, life insurance, long-term disability, 401(k), unlimited vacation, generous parental leave, commuter reimbursement, professional development, philanthropic opportunities, and most importantly a sense of community.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Casma provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, age, veteran status, disability, pregnancy or conditions related to pregnancy, or genetics.
If you would like to learn more, please send us your resume and anything else you would like to share to email@example.com.