Scientist I, Biology
Reports to: Head of Biology
Location: Cambridge, MA
Casma Therapeutics is harnessing the natural cellular process of autophagy to open vast new target areas for drug discovery and development that will profoundly impact the lives of patients. Autophagy is a conserved cellular process that contributes to overall organismal health. Inefficient autophagy flux or defects in lysosomal homeostasis are observed in numerous pathologies, e.g., neurodegeneration, metabolic disorders, inflammation, and muscle degeneration. Casma uses several approaches to intervene at strategic points throughout the autophagy-lysosome system to improve the cellular process of clearing out unwanted proteins, organelles and invading pathogens. By boosting autophagy, Casma expects to be able to arrest or reverse the progression of lysosomal storage disorders, muscle disorders, inflammatory disorders and neurodegeneration, among other indications. Casma was launched in 2018 by Third Rock Ventures and is based in Cambridge, Mass.
The Scientist I, Biology will be an integral part of drug discovery programs that lead to the identification of novel therapeutic targets and drug candidates for clinical development. We are seeking a qualified candidate who will share our excitement about the science, contribute to our culture, and honor our commitment to patients.
Requirements + Qualifications
- PhD in cell biology, biochemistry, or cancer biology with 0-2 years of experience conducting high quality science in an industry setting
- Strong core competencies in molecular biology, cell biology, assay development, and medium throughput compound screening
- Proficient in mammalian cell culture, primary cells, cell line development, and generation of disease models
- Strong expertise in genetic manipulation using technologies such as CRISPR, shRNA, lentiviral/retroviral transduction, RNAi
- Hands-on knowledge of flow cytometry and FACS analysis techniques
- Experience in western blotting and immunoprecipitation
- Previous experience with live cell imaging, high content imaging, and FRET assays favorably considered
- Previous experience working with mouse models, compound dosing, tissue processing, and immunohistochemistry a plus
- Strong interpersonal and collaboration skills
- Clear and effective verbal and written communication skills
- A demonstrated ability to think logically and critically
- Ability to successfully participate in a highly-creative and enthusiastic start-up environment
- Exemplify a patient-first focus, courage, integrity, drive, and respect for all team members
Company Values + Culture
Courage to listen, learn, lead, Awesome science, Strength through collaboration,
Medical breakthroughs for patients, Always do the right thing
We have created and are sustaining a creative scientific culture where we recognize and reward our “Casmaniacs” for exemplifying our Core Values, and we accelerate our professional growth through coaching, development, and frequent feedback. Our plan of nurturing the fiercest, most talented and diverse Casmaniacs is coming to fruition before our very eyes.
Casmaniacs are provided competitive salaries, stock options, bonus eligibility, and excellent benefits including health, dental and vision insurance, life insurance, long-term disability, 401(k), unlimited vacation, generous parental leave, commuter reimbursement, professional development, philanthropic opportunities, and most importantly a sense of community.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Casma provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, age, veteran status, disability, pregnancy or conditions related to pregnancy, or genetics.
If you would like to learn more, please send us your resume and anything else you would like to share to firstname.lastname@example.org.