Senior Research Scientist, Biochemistry
Department: Drug Discovery
Reports to: Principal Scientist, Drug Discovery
Location: Cambridge, MA
Casma Therapeutics is harnessing the natural cellular process of autophagy to open vast new target areas for drug discovery and development that will profoundly impact the lives of patients. Autophagy is a conserved cellular process that contributes to overall organismal health. Inefficient autophagy flux or defects in lysosomal homeostasis are observed in numerous pathologies, e.g., neurodegeneration, metabolic disorders, inflammation, and muscle degeneration. Casma uses several approaches to intervene at strategic points throughout the autophagy-lysosome system to improve the cellular process of clearing out unwanted proteins, organelles and invading pathogens. By boosting autophagy, Casma expects to be able to arrest or reverse the progression of lysosomal storage disorders, muscle disorders, inflammatory disorders and neurodegeneration, among other indications. Casma was launched in 2018 by Third Rock Ventures and is based in Cambridge, Mass.
We are seeking an exceptional biochemist to join our team. You will be an integral part of drug discovery programs that lead to the identification of novel therapeutic targets and drug candidates for clinical development. As a newly founded and fast-growing startup, you will have numerous growth opportunities and your voice will actively contribute to the company direction. We are looking for someone who will share our excitement about the science, contribute to our culture, and honor our commitment to patients.
- Contribute to our efforts in the conceptual design, development, and implementation of biochemical assays.
- Lead efforts to elucidate regulatory mechanisms of protein complex activation in the context of protein and small molecule interactions.
- Build positive relationships and work directly with our external partners – both academic and CROs – to execute Casma’s scientific goals.
- Provide enzymology expertise and interact closely with exploratory cell biologists and medicinal chemists as a member of drug discovery project teams.
Requirements + Qualifications
- BS, MS or PhD with 5+ years of drug discovery and 2-5 years of project management.
- Hit-to-lead characterization of small molecule candidates with multiple projects. Specific familiarity with the biophysical properties of large protein complexes is highly desirable.
- A strong background in biochemistry including in-depth understanding of enzyme kinetics, and mechanism-of-action studies. Familiarity with interpretation of protein structural models is a plus.
- Experience with and capability to work with outside vendors, including CROs.
- Strong interpersonal and collaboration skills
- Clear and effective verbal and written communication skills
- A demonstrated ability to think logically and critically
- Ability to successfully participate in a highly-creative and enthusiastic start-up environment
- Exemplify a patient-first mentality, courage, integrity, drive, and respect for all team members
Company Values + Culture
Courage to listen learn, lead, Awesome science, Strength through collaboration,
Medical breakthroughs for patients, Always do the right thing
We have created and are sustaining a creative scientific culture where we recognize and reward our “Casmaniacs” for exemplifying our Core Values, and we accelerate our professional growth through coaching, development, and frequent feedback. Our plan of nurturing the fiercest, most talented and diverse Casmaniacs is coming to fruition before our very eyes.
Casmaniacs are provided competitive salaries, stock options, bonus eligibility, and excellent benefits including health, dental and vision insurance, life insurance, long-term disability, 401(k), unlimited vacation, generous parental leave, commuter reimbursement, professional development, philanthropic opportunities, and most importantly a sense of community.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Casma provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, age, veteran status, disability, pregnancy or conditions related to pregnancy, or genetics.
If you would like to learn more, please send us your resume and anything else you would like to share to firstname.lastname@example.org.