VP of Biology
Reports to: CSO
Location: Cambridge, MA
Casma Therapeutics is harnessing the natural cellular process of autophagy to open vast new target areas for drug discovery and development that will profoundly impact the lives of patients. Autophagy is a conserved cellular process that contributes to overall organismal health. Inefficient autophagy flux or defects in lysosomal homeostasis are observed in numerous pathologies, e.g., neurodegeneration, metabolic disorders, inflammation, and muscle degeneration. Casma uses several approaches to intervene at strategic points throughout the autophagy-lysosome system to improve the cellular process of clearing out unwanted proteins, organelles and invading pathogens. By boosting autophagy, Casma expects to be able to arrest or reverse the progression of lysosomal storage disorders, muscle disorders, inflammatory disorders and neurodegeneration, among other indications. Casma was launched in 2018 by Third Rock Ventures and is based in Cambridge, Mass.
The Vice President (VP) of Biology will play a wide-ranging role in helping to develop a mature pipeline of drug candidates for Casma. The VP will contribute to all stages of small molecule drug discovery and early development including target ID and validation, hit discovery and lead optimization through to IND. This will require that the candidate has 15+ years of experience progressing therapeutic programs into the clinic. An affinity for discovery biology and basic science is of critical importance. The VP will be adept at working in a non-hierarchical environment where teamwork and efficient decision making are of the essence. In addition to line management responsibilities, the VP will be expected to influence overall Company strategy and engage with key external partners. We are seeking a candidate who will share our excitement about the science, champion our culture, and honor our commitment to patients.
- Using an approach grounded in objectivity and scientific rigor, oversee all internal and external biology activities focused on the discovery of novel targets and small molecule modulators of the autophagy pathway.
- Provide leadership, strategic oversight, resource management, and organizational framework to ensure timely decision making on projects.
- Identify, support, manage and develop talent among team; act as a resource and mentor to team members by providing guidance, instruction, feedback and ongoing coaching; encourage visionary thinking. Value the advancement of our programs and our people.
- Preserve and promote current model of participative decision making in an organization where siloes are nonexistent and discouraged.
- Professionally represent the organization externally in collaborations and conferences, board of directors and scientific advisory board meetings.
Requirements + Qualifications
- PhD in Biological Sciences, MD, or MD/PhD with 15+ years of industry experience working in the pharmaceutical and/or biotechnology field as a biologist
- Extensive track-record of leading drug discovery programs through to IND and adopting highly innovative approaches to answering complex biological questions
- History of publications and conference presentations
- Proven ability to work within a matrix management structure to influence programs
- Demonstrated ability to lead through others and develop emerging leaders within organization
- Outstanding interpersonal and collaboration skills
- Ability to work productively and collaboratively with potential corporate partners/external collaborators
- Clear and effective verbal and written communication skills
- A demonstrated ability to think logically and critically
- Ability to successfully participate in a highly-creative and enthusiastic start-up environment with people who are motivated to succeed together as a team
- Exemplify a patient-first focus, courage, integrity, drive, and respect for all team members
Company Values + Culture
Courage to listen learn, lead, Awesome science, Strength through collaboration,
Medical breakthroughs for patients, Always do the right thing
We have created and are sustaining a creative scientific culture where we recognize and reward our “Casmaniacs” for exemplifying our Core Values, and we accelerate our professional growth through coaching, development, and frequent feedback. Our plan of nurturing the fiercest, most talented and diverse Casmaniacs is coming to fruition before our very eyes.
Casmaniacs are provided competitive salaries, stock options, bonus eligibility, and excellent benefits including health, dental and vision insurance, life insurance, long-term disability, 401(k), unlimited vacation, generous parental leave, commuter reimbursement, professional development, philanthropic opportunities, and most importantly a sense of community.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Casma provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, age, veteran status, disability, pregnancy or conditions related to pregnancy, or genetics.
If you would like to learn more, please send us your resume and anything else you would like to share to firstname.lastname@example.org.